Join us for worship every Sunday!
Services at 10:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
I have to confess to you that I have always struggled with a “Purpose Statement” or “Mission Statement” – mainly because I have found it so difficult to distill down to a few words what Jesus Christ has created and sent us to do…which is EVERYTHING He has taught and commanded.
How can we improve on?…
- “Make disciples of all the nations” or “teaching them to observe all things I have commanded you” Matthew 28.19-20], or
- “To Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen” [Ephesians 3.21], or
- “That you may proclaim the praises of Him Who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light” [1 Peter 2.9]
But, I also understand that as the pastor-teacher of God’s precious people, it is my responsibility to train and equip them to effectively do the work of ministry [Ephesians 4:11-13; 1 Peter 5:1-4; Acts 20:28].
Therefore, it will be helpful to all of us together to have some expression that is both accurate and simple. So, knowing that everything we do must glorify Jesus Christ by loving Him and sharing His love with all others, the Lord led me to discover this simple expression of our aim and purpose in everything we do:
LOVE OTHERS – TELL OTHERS – HELP OTHERS
With my fellow pastor’s permission, I want to express this as our own:
Our mission at Thompson Road Baptist Church is to glorify Jesus Christ by seeking to fulfill these three goals on an increasing basis:
- LOVE OTHERS. To show the love of Jesus Christ to all people is our primary desire (John 13:35). This love must have a context and that context is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- TELL OTHERS. Therefore we commit to tell people the truth of the Gospel as we show them the love of Jesus Christ (Philippians 2:16; Ephesians 4:15). The context of Christ’s Gospel is what distinguishes us from a human, social endeavor. Our mission is to advance the Gospel.
- HELP OTHERS. Helping people is the fruit of loving people and telling people. Our faith means little if it does not result in our coming alongside of others and helping them in life (1 John 3:17; Galatians 6:10).
So our mission incorporates a heartfelt love, a verbal communication of Gospel truth and a practical commitment to displaying our love and faith by sharing our lives with others.
We will discover this adventure of faith and service in the Presence of Jesus Christ Himself. He promises to be with us “all the days even to the end of the age” as we live out these purposes in our daily lives and as a congregation. If you sense that the Lord is leading you in these paths, this is your open invitation to come and see if the Lord wants you to join our church family as we seek to make a lasting impact on our generation to the glory of God.